Sunday, January 20, 2008

I ate Mason Jennings' Brother's Left-Over Taco

I've just settled down for a long winter's nap. This evening began with an impressive show. Cory Mon's DVD release show to be exact. Opening was a guy named Dave Eaton, who honestly just didn't do it for me. He was like a drunk white guy trying to sound like Jack Johnson but not really pulling it off so much, except he wasn't drunk, he just wasn't good. So instead of listening to his set I went back and talked with Michelle G, and Becca Russell, They're fun, and I was glad of their company. After DE was Code Hero, a band that I've been hearing about for like two years, but somehow had never seen live until tonight. I in fact live with the drummer. They rocked my proverbial socks off. It was seriously moving to hear them play. Nate, the lead singer, writes the most introspective and thoughtful lyrics. And the music matches well. After CH was Matt Jennings, brother of Mason, and allegedly son of shooter, grandson of Waylin, and great nephew/Godson of the late Peter Jennings. OK not really, but he really is Mason's brother. Matt's music is very Latin, and it's cool. I enjoyed his set, he and his stand up bass player, also named Matt, produce a great blend, I'm glad they came out to play. The show ended with Cory Mon and the Starlight Gospel. I've seen Cory play practically a million times, but I've never seen anything like what I saw last night. He was seriously unbelievable, and his band was so tight and on point. There were a few points in the show where I was almost moved to tears because of the quality of the music. It was so nice to go to a show and feel like I was actually gaining light from it. Afterwards there was a hot-chocolate/icecream party at our place, (mormons) and quite a few people came over, Scotty, Nate(of Code Hero) and myself discussed the Cohen brothers, specifically their newest film, No Country For Old Men, I enjoy hearing other people's opinions about films, and comparing/contrasting them with my own. Each of us got something completely different out of it. Then I went downstairs and philosophized with Jeff Stone, Katie Brandeburg, Matt Jennings, and others. We heard about a chance metting with ?estlove, of The Roots, we talked about Minesota, and we gave Matt hell for being in his brother's shadow. For the record, Matt is a great musician, and an awesome dude who couldn't eat his second taco from Beto's last night, leaving it for me to finish, mainly so I could have an awesome title for this blog. Being Mason's brother is just a part of his life, it has nothing to do with his work as such.

No comments: